Friday, January 15, 2010

Good Reasons

Adding to Knatz.com / Teaching / Society / NoHier / Deschool /

No matter how evil the kleptocracy's reasons for kidnapping the young for choreographed indoctrination, good things can still, can also, come of it. For example, the orthodox Jew may meet a radical Catholic, actually come to see another viewpoint. The girl trained to keep her legs crossed may meet the guy who makes her knees buckle. Some of this is "accident": God is not mocked: it doesn't matter what we humans try, life, the universe, will have a still later word. I mention it because individual choice may come into play: you hate the history class? Good, you have a right to; but: open your eyes occasionally anyway: you may encounter something you wind up loving. I hated grammar in school, but wound up loving linguistics in graduate school.

I never would have loved it taught by the school board, but I adored it taught by scholars: and I wouldn't likely know it had I not been "forced" (by the desire to teach college).

No comments: