Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Illich: Deschooling Society Contents

Ivan Illich
Deschooling Society
Contents

Deschooling Society: Introduction

Ch1: Why We Must Disestablish School

Ch2: Phenomenology of School

Ch3: Ritualization of Progress

Ch4: Institutional Spectrum

Ch5: Irrational Consistencies

Ch6: Learning Webs

Ch7: Rebirth of Epimethean Man


Note:

Preserve.net has listed Illich texts online for some time. The text for Deschooling Society had been mounted by Penn State until recently. Personal sites from Ira Woodhead to my Knatz.com have published Illich and other passages for years. My FLEX of 1971 was supposed to digitize all texts and all digitizable artifacts for one universal (universally accessible) library (and would have had the public donated "one percent of one percent" of its coerced budgets).

After Ivan Illich's death, Penn State took the text down. Now what are we supposed to do? Knatz.com linked to the Penn State text as did other sites around the world. Single Source is good for a corporation, but hardly good for society. Don't unite: divide: then there may be some survivors.

Fortunately for the public, I saved Penn State's text to disk. The world should save Knatz.com to disk (after digesting it).(If you don't voluntarily pay me for it now, you'll still pay: in the bone yard.)



The HTML files have been edited as well as coded to approximate the formatting of the first edition. The text files have been reduced to ASCII files: formatting lost.

With regard to the Deschooling text, I've filled in several missing sections by typing from the first edition. (I also have an "edition" earlier than the first, Ivan Illich having shared his CIDOC printed "MS" with me in 1970 or 1971. I no longer have the NYR versions of chapters 1, 2, & 6.)


2011 01 11 I've been trying to stimulate the public to absorb Illich's points, particularly his deschooling points, since 1970. He welcomed me as a disciple, I have a right to quote him: at any length. That is, I had his permission, that permission was never withdrawn. We had God's permission to speak. But do I have society's permission? Do society's laws protect such permissions? No. When U PA put Deschooling's text online, I copied it. I improved it a bit. I uploaded it at Knatz.com, then at InfoAll.org, since at this InfoAll blog. Upon Illich's death I asked permission of Illich's estate, in the person of Valentine Borremans: just to dot my i's. She has never answered me!

In 1970 the radical Catholics embraced me. But I haven't felt any such embraces since 1973 or so. What happened? I think it should be explained to me, rather than by me.

Apropos: when John Quintero went to join Illich friends in Bremen in a commemoration, he'd planned to remind the group of my work founding and developing FLEX. He traveled from California to Florida to check his facts before continuing on to Germany. But once there, he said nothing on the subject. He explained to me that that atmosphere seemed to him to be one of personal commemoration: remember drinking wine with Ivan; not remembering what he said, or tried to do, or tried to stimulate. I am disgustipated, as Popeye said in Altman's movie.

No comments: